***the links in this article are affiliate links. If you purchase something I will receive a small commission from the seller at no extra cost to you***
Working Mums vs Stay At Home Mums : The Amazing Truth
The Working Mums vs Stay At Home Mums debate has been around since time began, it’s true it is a hot topic and is a debate that rages on between those mums who do work and those mums who stay at home. It’s been going on for years and I don’t think it will ever stop.
Before my baby was even born I’d have people asking me if I was going back to work afterwards.
Truth is being a Stay At Home Mum is tough and being a Working Mum is tough. One is not harder than the other, one is not right and one is not wrong. Both options are perfectly fine – It’s your choice.
Working Mums vs Stay At Home Mums
The Pros and Cons Of Being A Working Mum
Pros Of Being A Working Mum
- You are a great mum
- You earn your own money
- Teach your children the importance of working
- Maintain your own sense of identity through your achievements at work
- You get to have an adult conversation
- Value quality time you spend with your children
- Your child is having fun & building relationships with others
- You get to go to the toilet in peace a few times a day
- You get to drink your coffee whilst its still hot a few times a day
Cons Of Being A Working Mum
- You miss your children – alot
- Tiredness from rushing around and getting everyone where they need to be
- Feeling like you have two jobs
- Mum guilt when you miss out on parents evenings, plays etc.
The Pros and Cons Of Being A Stay At Home Mum
Pros Of Being A Stay At Home Mum
- You are a great mum
- You’re getting to spend a lot of time with your child
- You don’t have to split your time between two things.
- You get to see all the firsts
- No expensive child care
Cons Of Being A Stay At Home Mom
- Lack Of Adult Conversation
- It can be lonely when your children are young
- Can cause lack of identity
- Can cause financial strain
- Your children can lack socialisation with other children
Moms would all support each other which ever option they choose. Being a mom is hard job and none of us want or need to feel judged for the decision we make about children. We all do what is best for our family, we all want what’s best for our family. So weather you’re a Stay At Home Mom or Working Mom I salute you! You’re Doing Great!
Moms do feel judged for the decision we make. Those who stay at home are ‘sponging off the state’ and ‘lazy”. The moms who work are ‘more interested in money’ ‘don’t care about their child’ or ‘aren’t naturally maternal anyway’.
On more than one occasion I have felt judged for my decision to have a full-time 9-5 job, whilst my little one attends nursery. He has done since he was 8 months old. We all suffer enough ‘mum guilt’ of our own without others adding more doubt and feelings of guilt upon you.
For Those Mums Who Work Full Time – I’d Like You To Know:
- Just because you work it doesn’t mean you’re not maternal
- Because you work it doesn’t mean you don’t love your child
- Just because you leave them, it doesn’t mean they’ll stop loving you or forget you – you’ll always be their mom.
Don’t be so hard on yourselves – this being a mommy job is tough. Let’s all show some love and understanding for each other instead of trying to decide who is right and who is wrong in the Stay At Home Mom vs Working Mom debate – there is no right or wrong answer – only what’s best for you and your family.
Mummy Its OK – You’re Doing Great!